Monday, November 2, 2009

Auschwitz-Birkenau





















This will not be the most uplifting post, in terms of what was photographed, but it was very enlightening and interesting. Words cannot describe what occurred at this concentration/work camp, however, it is a place I've always wanted to visit and see for myself . . . I guess the pictures tell the story.

I will say there were no other children around, unless you count high-school age kids visiting on school break tours. Our stroller and young ones set us apart and probably caused some people to think we were a bit strange to expose our children to something they may not remember or understand. Perhaps, but when you're this close to something so historical, so incredibly important, how can you not go? The history major in me had to be there. We were touched and haunted by the materials, the possessions, the photos of all the people--Jewish, gypsy, disabled--from many nations that were left behind. It was horrible to see how the Nazis dehumanized them in every way possible from shaving their heads to labeling them for "crimes." And that's just the tip of the iceberg as we all know.

Auschwitz seemed much smaller than the huge Birkenau camp. They're 3 km apart and were both used for various experiments, labor, and ultimately death. I kept having images flash in my head from "Schindler's List, " especially the train arrivals, screaming of people in the showers and gas chambers, the boy hiding in the latrines, and so on. On a positive note, we were heartened to see many groups of Jewish teens walking with Israeli flags, leaving memorial candles here and there, and hopefully taking pride in all their people endured and survived. We say never again, but the adversary works hard to harden people's hearts and minds . . .


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Unbelievable. I had no idea there was so much left behind to see. Boyd and I got offered to come stay with someone in Krakow this summer. I told him you had been there recently and that it looked like a very worthwhile place to see. I think now for sure, I need to go there.
Are there a lot of tourists there?

Holly said...

What great history you got to see!!

Shauna said...

Your pictures did a good job of telling the history. I had no idea that that much of it was still in tact. Your writing of your memories were very well put.

Johanna said...

What an amazing trip. We would have taken our kids too.

Robertsons said...

i remembering feeling the spirit so strong when I was there...it is such a special place

Tricia Holmes said...

This post sent shivers up my spine. How easily we forget the suffering of millions of innocent people...and really, when you think about it, nothing much has changed since then. Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Jonestown, Gadafi, Rwanda, and the list goes on too many for me to know or to mention. God forgive us for humanity's sins against humanity.