as well as pure joy (from videogames), always brings the family together :). Seconds later someone sustained a "smack in the face" minor injury.
Our time was well spent during April's spring break. We arrived as a tornado was whipping through NC. It was the worst turbulence I've ever experienced. I thought I would pass out from hot flashes and all the bumpiness. We also left the country as horrible tornados spread across the southern U.S., the worst those areas have seen in years. Some kind of harbinger? Hopefully not!! We headed to Raleigh, NC, for our first visit to the U.S. since 2009. Needless to say, the children were excited. Well, most of them. It was major culture disorientation since we often found ourselves looking around and wondering, "How long will it take to feel like we're home here?" Testing the waters during a house hunt was the perfect opportunity for me to pack on 5 pounds and limp around in my tendonitis boot! I think I certainly looked American as I saw a much more mature lady in Target sporting my boot/brace also. Yes, Target, praise be! We sounded like a bunch of idiots as our family of six perused every aisle in the store and embarrassed ourselves by shouting and drooling over the Entenmann's, Tasty Cakes, Hostess, insert your favorite treat here, in the food section.
But on to more serious things. Yes, we did find a home. And, we learned a lot. Comme toujours. Over and over. Like, homes on the internet look much different in real life. Yards are small and full of pine trees, not grass. Chapel Hill is expensive but has great schools so there's not much that fits our family size and spoiled, idealized list of wants. Thus, a mansion is not in our future, nor is a plot with a soccer pitch. And the kids' favorite, Chik-Fil-A is everywhere, and Wendy's is alive and well. There we go with the food again. We will have to do some hefty home renovations, but I am actually looking forward to the challenge (I think). I guess it's more the chance to shop for carpet, pick wall colors and bathroom designs, etc., without having to build a home from the ground that is exciting. To make the house a home. Must remind myself of this when we begin a "Money Pit" scenario :)
We visited our new church/ward. There are four wards that meet in the chapel where we would attend. That's huge when compared to our situation the last six years. The kids met some potential friends, however, Mason faces the minority issue he has always faced as a young man. There just aren't that many guys his age wherever we've lived. Fortunately, the young men from several wards gather a few times a month for activities, so he'll have more opportunities.
But for now, I am trying to squeeze every bit of life out of our time here in the UK. Don't want to think about packing it all up just yet!!
|
2 comments:
I hope it means we get to see you more! I am excited to share a postal country with you!
I can't believe you are moving back. You've been in Europe a long time. My favorite thing when we moved back was that when we went anywhere my kids would keep asking what language do they speak there?
Post a Comment