Tuesday, October 26, 2010

La Pedrera

We had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Barcelona for the kids' October school break.  We've been wanting (or rather, I have been wanting) to visit for a very long time.  Mark had been here several times for work, and this was a wonderful week of eating, wandering, exploring, running/walking, shopping, insert your own verb here.  Family time is a luxury and we've been blessed to experience it in some very cool places.  So, as architecture is one of Barcelona's many highlights, we begin with a walk down Passeig de Gràcia.  We strolled past many a modernista building and enjoyed the Casa Battló by the famed architect, Antoni Gaudi, with its colors, textures, and especially the balconies sculpted in the form of carnival masks.


Casa Batlló


Down the street, at la Pedrera, we wondered over the wavy, iron balconies.  Inside are apartments, a clothing store, a museum, an exhibition room, and of course, the obligatory gift shop!


La Pedrera rooftop view.  It's a park full of sculptures with chimneys that resemble medieval warriors and huge ventilator ducts twisted into bizarre organic forms (not to mention the great views)!  Do I sound like a tour guide?  Because I am quoting our Top 10 Barcelona guide in order to make this the best blog post ever.



L.P. atrium



More of Gaudi's funky design . . .



How about this?


Refugees from the UK descend



Gaudi's Masterpiece, la Sagrada Familia (rooftop L.P. view).  More on this later.



Marina ponders life in Barcelona



Nico just wants a nap



All's well that ends well in another beautiful L.P. foyer.  I loved the painted floral ceilings with lovely lit stairways and ornate staircases.  Special thanks to Stephanie Boyd who mercifully explained how to upload pictures much faster :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! So what do you think of Barcelona? Is it as good as you thought it would be?

Margie and Mark said...

Loved it! So beautiful and the city is pretty easy to navigate, good food, cool architecture, great parks and waterfront, excellent shopping . . . shall I go on?

Holly said...

I'm so glad you had a great time in Barcelona - the Cranes have painful memories of Spain from each time we've been there.... we'll be gun shy to try it again for a long while :)