Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vienna













Did you think I was done with our Austria pictures?  Of course not!  If only I wasn't too lazy to properly post these pictures with commentary underneath, but as I'm lucky enough to post them I'll leave it to the pro bloggers (though I'm sure it's really easy to do).

Can I stress just how beautiful Vienna is?  The architecture is very cool, kind of like Paris but with more quirkiness.  It was freezing so we didn't spend  a lot of time oohing and ahhing but one day I'd love to return and really digest all that we saw.  I'll have to watch "Before Sunrise," too, and relive the time spent there.  We went to a natural history museum and hung out with the Viennese New Year revelers.  It was a good mix of fun and culture for the whole family.  We know now why so many Austrians smoke, drink and wear fur . . . it was freaking cold!    I know I already said that but it can't be said enough when one is walking around everywhere in the dead of winter.  I loved seeing people doing the waltz and learning various dances from instructors and  performers on these stages set up around the city.  The people are very proud of their skills as they should be.  Another funny thing was people wearing pig hats and vendors selling pig paraphernalia all over--could someone explain this to me?

1 comment:

Johanna said...

I was wondering about your pig hats myself, lol!