Although she doesn't officially turn 9 until August and Mark was out of town, we couldn't let all that stop us from celebrating Marina's birthday with a few friends. She invited her two best friends over for a sleepover and the next day we headed to Build A Bear with three more friends for an hour or so of goofy fun. Thank goodness our friendly babysitter Marianne watched Nico and Emma while Mason spent the night at a friend's house. I warned Marina she was probably a little too old for this kind of party but she was set on the plan. The girls and one boy gave our party helper a run for his money! After this experience I'm sure he thought we had some very bratty and spoiled kids with the way they avoided following his directions, rebuffed his suggestions for caring for their bears, and generally left him to stuff the animals. It's a new concept here in France so the French kids see it for the first time and are fascinated. Meanwhile the Americans have usually done this thing before so it's like, find your bear, get it stuffed and pick out some cute clothes. I've noticed that in general, french children are more docile and obedient while americans are rather rambunctious and inquisitive shall we say? :) That could be due to the fact that beginning from maternelle (french nursery school), you are a little adult and punishment can be dealt out if one doesn't conform as expected. Nico had this challenge, but I digress . . .
We had a good time and returned home for presents, cake and ice cream. I think it's safe to say this will be our last BAB party, ha ha. Marina was thrilled to be the center of attention and enjoyed being with her good friends. She is growing up way too fast yet that's the way it goes! She is a mischevious, active, talented and lovely girl and we're lucky to have her. At least most of the time . . . pre-adolescence, anyone?
1 comment:
Happy Pre-Birthday to Marina!! Guess what...Boyd and I are coming to Paris June 29-July 1st! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!! We are coming with some friends who are staying in a hostel at 62 Rue Ramey. Do you know where that is? I'm trying to find a hotel super close to them and I'm having a hard time. Can you recommend a place? We want to meet you guys there! What are some things we MUST do???
Post a Comment