Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Our Roman Holiday--Day One











Yes, I am going to milk this trip for all it's worth, blog-wise! After an early flight and fighting fatigue, we made our way into Rome. We began with the lovely Villa Borghese Park, wandering around aimlessly yet taking in the sights. We decided not to venture into any of the three museums since we knew the kids were already running on empty. A bit later we ventured south to the very popular Trevi Fountain since the weather was lovely. If you're not familiar with the tradition, one makes a wish and throws a coin over his shoulder into the fountain. Nico wished for a little dog and Marina the opportunity to go swimming. I guess they shouldn't have divulged their wishes because unfortunately they didn't come true (at least not yet :)

Delicious gelato was the reward for all the kids' walking and patience as Rome is not exactly a children's paradise vacation. It worked for Mark and I, too. Marina got an unexpected treat when she saw one of her best friends, Alexandra, and her family arrive at the airport and join us on the same flight to Rome from Paris. We then ran into them--completely randomly--each day for the next three days! It was so funny because the third day we were in Pompei, about three hours south of Rome, and we still managed to cross one another's path. They were on a one day tour while we had rented two cars for an extended stay (don't ask, nightmare internet booking experience). Everything turned out fine, though not very convenient in terms of driving. Back to Rome, I must say it is beautiful and inspiring. It made me want to revisit my history books . . . though I've been saying that about my France studies since our move almost three years ago and am just starting to do it! Something about moving and having a baby wipes me out for while.

3 comments:

StrykerMan said...

I figured you were on a National Lampoon's European Vacation of some sort since you've been away from the blogging world. Nice Roman Holiday! Did you see the Sistine Chapel?

Darren, Tisha, Tanner & Tennyson said...

Reminds me of the Bachelor season of nasty kisses. I know you know what I am talking about Margie! Hahaha!

Darren, Tisha, Tanner & Tennyson said...

I love how excited Nico is in the one picture. We're excited to see Mark here in a couple of weeks. We'll email you a list of items we need soon. :)